Bible Verses When You Are Struggling with Your PastJump To Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. If a purchase is made by clicking on a link, I will get a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Have you ever known the truth, but have had a hard time actually believing it? All my life I have known God’s truth that He sent his only Son to die on the cross for our sins (John 3:16), and that we are forgiven. I’ve always known the truth about confessing our sins to God, and that He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins (1 John 1:9) and never brings it back in our face (Psalms 103:11-12).
However, lately I have really struggled with believing and receiving these truths. I know partly it is because I am in the postpartum stage, and am struggling with postpartum depression (hello guilt). I remember the week I came home from the hospital, and several weeks after I had what seemed a thousand thoughts of my past sins and failures coming to mind every. single. day. It was hard to grasp that God has actually forgiven me and redeemed me.
I also think I struggle with past mistakes because I am a little bit of a perfectionist…okay, I AM a perfectionist. I often wish I could delete or redo a situation from my life because at the time I lacked knowledge and wisdom, or hey, was just a plain faulty human being that needs a Savior.
On my postpartum journey, I have been reading Pastor Craig Groeschel’s book, Winning the War in Your Mind. He uses the Bible and Psychology to help uncover why we have these negative thoughts that plague us and how to overcome! He shares in the chapter of his Reframe Principle, “You could be set free. Free from being haunted by things you have done and things that were done to you. Free from mindsets that have kept you shackled to your past. Free from ruts of self defeating habits. Wouldn’t you like to be free? You can. Reframe your life, and experience the blessings of God’s collateral goodness.” I love this! I can be set free!
Here are truths you can preach to your soul when you are reminded about your past!
- Psalms 103:11-12 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
- Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace.
- Psalm 32:5 I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,’ and You forgave the iniquity of my sin.
- Romans 4:7-8 Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord will never count against them
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Romans 8:1 There is, therefore, now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
- 1 Peter 4:16 Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.
- Hebrews 10:22 …let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
- Psalm 31:1 In You, O Lord, I put my trust; let me never be ashamed; deliver me in Your righteousness.
May the Lord bless you, and continue to heal you from your past.